The ‘Wild Girl’
A self-confessed dromomaniac, I’m a freelance travel writer with more than 60 countries (so far) under my belt. While first studying zoology, I realised that my future looked like I was going to spend my life staring down a microscope looking at animal poop; so after a brief stint as PR Manager for the Melbourne Zoo, I moved to Sydney and undertook a Masters in Communication Management at UTS.
I now combine my love of writing and travelling to the world’s most far-flung places with my love of wildlife; although these days I’m not adverse to the odd luxury hotel, indulgent spa treatment, or lying in a hammock on a palm-fringed beach sipping cocktails with little umbrellas in them either.
My articles have appeared in numerous Australian and international newspapers, magazines and online outlets including The Australian; Australian Geographic; Discovery Channel Magazine; National Geographic Traveller Australia & NZ; Sydney Morning Herald; The Age; Sun Herald; Sunday Telegraph; Australian Traveller, Travel & Leisure Asia; Cruise Passenger; Vacations & Travel; Get Lost; NRMA Open Road and RACQ The Road Ahead; Yahoo NZ; Signature Travel & Lifestyle; Going PlacesMalaysia Airlines inflight magazine; and Rex Airline’s OUTthere; amongst many others.
I’ve also contributed to a number of books, including Lonely Planet’s ‘Code Green – Trips of a lifetime that won’t cost the Earth’; and the Australian Adventure Atlas.
I was also the managing editor of the travel trade publication, Traveltalk, and not only write about destinations, but the business of travel and tourism. I’ve also worked as an expedition leader in Antarctica and Russia and a whale-swim guide the South Pacific.
When I’m not travelling or writing, you’ll find me in my sanctuary on Sydney’s northern beaches, planning my next big adventure.
- Winner ‘Best Trade Story’ Australian Society of Travel Writers (2012)
- Finalist Travel Writer of the Year Trade/Industry – Australian Society of Travel Writers (2009)
- Finalist Best Responsible Tourism Story – Australian Society of Travel Writers Travel Journalism Awards (2009; 2010 & 2012)
- Finalist ‘Best Travel Writer’ – Australian Federation of Travel Agents National Tourism Industry Awards (2009; 2010, 2012, 2013)
- Travel Writer of the Year: Trade/Industry, Australian Society of Travel Writers (2007)
- Winner ‘Best International Travel Story’, Australian Society of Travel Writers (2007)
- President Australian Society of Travel Writers (2009 – 2010)
- Executive Officer, Australian Society of Travel Writers (2001 – 2007)
- Vice-Chair, Wildlife Tourism Australia (2004-2006)
- Executive Officer, Tourist Attractions Association NSW (2002 – 2003)
- President Australian Institute of Professional Communicators (1995)
- Member Foreign Correspondents Association
Countries visited include:
Argentina, Australia, Austria, Antarctica, Bhutan, Brazil, Brunei, Bolivia, Botswana, China, Canada, Cambodia, Chile, Ecuador, Fiji, Galapagos, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kenya, Macau, Maldives, Malaysia, Morocco, Nepal, New Zealand, Niue, North Korea, Oman, Peru, Philippines, Russia, Sri Lanka, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Tibet, Thailand, Tanzania, Tonga, Vanuatu, Vietnam, USA, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Zaire.