Jennifer Schell, the author of The Butcher, The Baker, The Wine and Cheese Maker in the Okanagan (a recipe book that celebrates culinary culture in British Columbia’s Okanagan Valley), shares with us her own recipe for Okanagan Apple Dumpling Bombs.
Apple Dumplings – Recipe for Okanagan Bombs
- Pastry to make one pie divided into 4 rounds rolled out to an eighth of an inch.
- 4 apples, peeled and cored (use your favourite Okanagan apple – Gala, Macintosh, Spartan, Golden all work well as they will break down appropriately).
- Sugar and cinnamon for sprinkles
- Flour for dusting
- Filling mix (it can be your favourite jam, mincemeat or a butter/raisin/nut mixture be creative).
Prepare the filling mix:
- 3/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped toasted pecans
- 1-2 chopped dried figs, squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
Try not to eat it all before stuffing the apples!
Step 1 – Measure 2 tbsp per apple.
Step 2 – Roll out a round of pie dough onto floured surface, sprinkle with a little sugar and cinnamon, place the cored apple in the centre of the round.
Step 3 – Fill the hole with your choice of yummy mixture.
Step 4 – Pleat the dough around the apple, squeezing together lightly on top to hold.
Step 5 – Refrigerate for 20 minutes to set, brush with a whisked egg, sprinkle with more sugar and cinnamon if desired and bake on a sheet at 350° for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until golden brown.
Step 6 – Serve with vanilla gelato or ice cream and a mint leaf to replicate the apple leaf.
Use this embed code to display this recipe Infographic on your website:
<p><strong>Learn more about this recipe at travel2next.com</strong><br /><br /><a href='https://travel2next.com/okanagan-apple-dumpling-bombs-recipe/?utm_source=infographic&utm_medium=embed'><img src='https://cdn.travel2next.com/wp-content/uploads/apple-dumpling-bombs-recipe-okanagan-final.jpg' alt='okanagan apple dumping bombs' 540px border='0' /></a></p>