If you’re looking for something to do on the Sunshine Coast this weekend, consider visiting the Queensland Air Museum. The museum, which is in Caloundra, has a fantastic collection of aircraft on display and from time to time fires up its collection of engines and aircraft on their Aero Engine Run Days.
The Queensland Air Museum Aero Engine Run Day is a special display of aviation horsepower and a great day out for families.
There’s usually a sausage sizzle and cold drinks, tea and coffee.
Queensland Air Museum
The museum’s operational engine and aircraft collection consist of engines ranging from 40 hp up to 1,500 hp and dating from 1930, including a fully operational CAC Wirraway aircraft.
Honestly, the Queensland Air Museum in Caloundra is probably one of the best air museums in Australia.
It has an impressive collection of historical military and passenger aircraft, aircraft engines, equipment, photographs, models and books.
Collections are arranged in themed displays, such as Charles Kingsford Smith, women in aviation, World War II, the Korean and Vietnam wars, Qantas Airways and the Royal Flying Doctor Service.
Watch my video here of my recent visit to the Queensland Air Museum
Aircraft in the Queensland Air Museum
A highlight of the museum is the General Dynamics F-111, which is on loan from the Royal Australian Air Force.
The F-111s were best known for their fiery dump and burn exhibitions at air shows around Australia.
They could fly at two-and-a-half times the speed of sound and when they retired was still one of the fastest strike aircraft in the world.
Queensland Air Museum
The Queensland Air Museum is open every day from 10 am to 4 pm. Go here for more details. Admission: Adult $15, Concession $10, Child $8 and Family (2 adults, 3 children) $35. Address: 7 Pathfinder Drive, Caloundra Airport, Sunshine Coast
- CA-16 Wirraway aircraft used for training in WWII
- 1500 horsepower 14 cylinder Pratt & Whitney R-2000 radial engine out of a RAAF Caribou aircraft
- A hand started 40 horsepower 4 cylinder Continental A40 engine
- An Armstrong Whitworth Meteor TT MK20
- Several different kinds of helicopters
For more details phone (07) 5492 5930.
More Sunshine Coast attractions:
- If you’re planning on seeing more of the Sunshine Coast, here’s why Kondalilla National Park is a top spot.
- Also, read this post on the top Sunshine Coast beaches.
- Check out these fun Sunshine Coast markets too,
- Here are 18 things to do in Noosa.
- Our list of amazing Noosa restaurants and cafes.