In the heart of Tuscany, Florence is a gem that has captivated the hearts of travellers for centuries. With its rich history, breathtaking architecture, and contributions to the arts, the city is a jewel box of the Renaissance era’s cultural legacy. During the day, the city dazzles with its artistic treasures and historical wonders, but as the sun sets, Florence puts on an enchanting cloak at night.
The warm glow of street lamps illuminates the Renaissance facades, creating a magical atmosphere that will make you feel like you’re in a fairyland. From romantic boat rides along the Arno River to immerse yourself in its vibrant nightlife and cultural offerings, the city has a menu of captivating experiences. By embracing the charm of Florence at night, you’ll discover a whole new dimension of this remarkable destination. Here are the best things to do in Florence at night.
- Florence At Night
- Top Tours
- 20 Things To Do In Florence At Night
- 1- Enjoy A Sightseeing Cruise Along The Arno River
- 2- Discover The Mysteries of Florence On A Dark History Tour
- 3- Take A Twilight Bike Tour By Electric Bike
- 4- Attend An Opera Performance At Santa Monaca Church
- 5- Indulge In A Sunset Sightseeing Tour And Wine Tasting
- 6- Explore The City On A Private Photo Walking Tour
- 7- Enjoy Dinner At The Hard Rock Café Florence
- 8- Visit Museo Galileo
- 9- Admire The Collection at the Synagogue and Jewish Museum
- 10- Join A Nighttime Food Tour In Florence
- 11- Watch A Movie At An Outdoor Cinema
- 12- Relax At A Rooftop Bar In Florence
- 13- Take A Moonlit Stroll Across Ponte Vecchio
- 14- Visit Palazzo Vecchio At Night
- 15- Admire The Night Skyline from Piazzale Michelangelo
- 16- Explore The Oltrarno Neighborhood
- 17- Dance The Night Away
- 18- Attend A Live Performance At Teatro della Pergola
- 19- Explore Florence’s Markets
- 20- Explore Uffizi Gallery
Florence At Night
- Florence: Santa Monaca Church Italian Opera Concert Ticket – as Florence is a capital of music and culture, this is an experience you won’t want to miss!
- Florence: Hop-on Hop-off Bus Tour: 24, 48 or 72-hour tickets are available to allow you to explore at your own pace.
- Florence: Statue of David Evening Tour – see Michelangelo’s David without the crowds during an evening guide tour at the Accademia Museum.
20 Things To Do In Florence At Night
1- Enjoy A Sightseeing Cruise Along The Arno River
A sightseeing cruise in Florence is a great way to see the architectural wonders that line the riverbanks, learn about the city’s rich history and soak up its vibrant local culture.
The Arno River Sightseeing Cruise offers a new perspective on Florence’s iconic river, where you’ll admire panoramic views of the city’s most famous bridges.
As you glide along the calm waters, expert guides offer interesting narratives, sharing historical facts and intriguing anecdotes about the landmarks you pass.
The trip lasts around an hour, and the boats are comfortable and well-equipped, with covered decks and open-air sections.
- Florence: Arno River Sightseeing Cruise with Commentary
- Florence: Gondola Boat Tour with Wine or Coffee and Snack
2- Discover The Mysteries of Florence On A Dark History Tour
To soak up the ambience of Florence at night, immerse yourself in the city’s hidden history on a Dark History Walking Tour.
This unique take on Florence will transport you through time, revealing the untold stories and mysteries of the city’s past in an immersive experience.
Take in the views of historic buildings, cobblestone streets and ancient bridges, and stop for a glass of Tuscan wine or a classic Italian cocktail.
Exploring Florence’s dark side is a great way to delve into what made this city tick.
Recommended tour: Florence: Dark History Walking Tour with Bar Stops
3- Take A Twilight Bike Tour By Electric Bike
One of the best ways to immerse yourself in the nocturnal charm of Florence is on a night tour by electric bike.
This night tour of Florence by electric bike offers a unique and unforgettable way to enjoy the city’s beauty as day transitions into night.
You’ll see Brunelleschi’s impressive dome on Piazza del Duomo and discover an open-air museum of statues on Piazza della Signoria.
One of the great things about a night tour is the scenic viewpoints, where you can pause to admire the panoramic vistas of Florence’s illuminated cityscape.
From these vantage points, you can spot landmarks like Palazzo Vecchio, Piazzale Michelangelo, and Basilica di Santa Croce bathed in a warm glow.
Guides share fascinating stories and historical facts about Florence, giving you deeper insights into Florence’s past and present.
Recommended tour: Florence: Night Tour by Electric Bike
4- Attend An Opera Performance At Santa Monaca Church
Santa Monaca Church is a historic gem in Florence, renowned for its cultural significance and architectural beauty.
The church dates back to the 15th century and its interior is adorned with impressive frescoes by renowned artists.
Over the years, this sacred space has evolved into a cultural hotspot, hosting various artistic and musical events.
The church’s acoustics is carefully designed to enhance the natural resonance of the human voice, and its intimate atmosphere and cozy seating arrangement ensure that every visitor is at proximity to the performers.
Attending an Italian Opera Concert at Santa Monaca Church is a unique and enchanting experience that combines the power of music with the awe-inspiring ambience of a centuries-old setting.
Singers from around the world grace the stage, performing masterpieces by Verdi, Puccini and Bellini.
Santa Monaca Church is at Via Santa Monaca, 6, 50124 Firenze FI, Italy. Skip the line and book your seats here.
For more performances, try these:
- Florence: Santa Monaca Church Italian Opera Concert Ticket
- Heart of Florence: Dinner and Three Tenors Concert Ticket
- Florence: Pizza Dinner and Opera Arias Concert
- Florence: Best of Classical, Vivaldi Four Seasons, Mozart and Bach
5- Indulge In A Sunset Sightseeing Tour And Wine Tasting
One of the best ways to experience the beauty and charm of Florence is through a sunset sightseeing tour combined with a delightful wine-tasting experience.
This Sunset Sightseeing Tour and Wine Tasting allow visitors to soak up the atmosphere of the Oltrarno district, see centuries-old workshops, and admire the city’s traditional architecture.
The tour also crosses the Arno River to explore iconic landmarks and hidden gems, such as the Piazzale Michelangelo, Piazza Signoria and Piazza Duomo.
After exploring the city’s landmarks, the tour ends with a wine-tasting experience, allowing visitors to savour the flavours of the fine wines from the Chianti region, accompanied by crostoni.
The combination of stunning views, excellent wines and Italian nibbles creates a sensory experience that captures the essence of Florence and its surrounding region. Book your tickets here.
Looking for more things to do in Italy? Here are some places you will love!
- 20 Landmarks in Italy
- 20 Best Beaches In Italy
- 20 Places To Visit In Italy In Winter
- 20 Incredible Things To Do In Lake Como
- 15 Things To Do In Rome At Night
- 21 Things To Do In Turin
- 15 Things To Do In Venice
- 20 Italian Drinks And Cocktails
- 24 Best Beaches In Sicily
- 20 Venice Night Attractions
- 20 Things To Do In Milan At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Florence At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Sicily
- Venice in Winter
- 20 Fairytale Castles In Italy
- 15 Italian Movies On Netflix
- 15 Italian Shows On Netflix
- 6 Charming Towns in Puglia
- Sacro Monti di Varallo
- Hiking Stromboli
- Salone del Gusto – Slow Food Festival
- 20 Things To Do In Florence
- 20 Beaches In Malta
- When Is The Best Time To Visit Italy?
- 20 Italian Cities
- 20 Things To Do In Pisa
- 20 Things To Do In Pompeii
- Where To Stay In Venice
6- Explore The City On A Private Photo Walking Tour
Florence is an incredible city for photographers, as there are stunning views at every corner.
A private photo walking tour is a unique way to capture memories of the city to take home with you.
Whether you’re a beginner with just a cellphone or an experienced photographer seeking to capture Florence’s beauty in a new light, this Private Photo Walking Tour caters to all skill levels.
With the guidance of a knowledgeable photographer, you can enhance your technical abilities, improve composition, and gain insights into the city’s history and culture.
The tour itinerary is flexible, and the photographer will work closely with you to understand your interests, style, and goals, ensuring that the tour is customized to your needs.
This blend of photography and storytelling creates a rich and immersive experience for visitors.
If you’ve ever thought about doing a photography tour during your travels, Florence is the best city to join one.
7- Enjoy Dinner At The Hard Rock Café Florence
There are times when you want a good old-fashioned hamburger.
In the historic Piazza della Repubblica, Hard Rock Café Florence is a popular spot to take a break from all that history with a hearty meal and rock ‘n’ roll memorabilia.
This Hard Rock Café maintains the unique architectural features of the landmark Gambrinus Cinema in which it is housed while blending in Hard Rock’s rock ‘n roll atmosphere, complete with famous rock and roll memorabilia.
Look out for special events and themed nights and book your ticket here in advance to escape the hassle of standing in line.
Hard Rock Café Florence is located at Via dei Brunelleschi, 1, 50123 Firenze FI, Italy.
8- Visit Museo Galileo
Museo Galileo, formerly known as the Institute and Museum of the History of Science, is a museum dedicated to the life and work of Galileo Galilei.
Galileo was one of the world’s most influential scientists and a famous astronomer.
The museum displays a fascinating collection of scientific instruments, artifacts and documents that showcase the evolution of scientific knowledge and technological advancements over the centuries.
Across the various themed rooms, you can learn about Galileo’s original instruments, including thermometers, microscopes and meteorological instruments, while gaining a deeper appreciation for Galileo’s role in shaping modern astronomy.
Museo Galileo also houses an impressive array of scientific instruments from different eras and artworks by other Tuscan and European artists.
Museo Galileo in Florence is at Piazza dei Giudici, 1, 50122 Firenze FI, Italy. Skip the line and buy your Museo Galileo Entry Ticket. Although the museum closes at 6 pm, in winter it starts getting dark at 5 pm.
9- Admire The Collection at the Synagogue and Jewish Museum
The Synagogue and Jewish Museum in Florence offers a captivating glimpse into the city’s Jewish community’s history, culture, and art.
Opened in 1882, the synagogue is both the beating heart of Florence’s Jewish community and an integral part of the city’s history.
Explore its magnificent interior with intricate decorations, stunning stained glass windows and a central prayer hall.
Next to the synagogue is the Jewish Museum of Florence, which showcases a remarkable collection of artifacts, documents, and artworks that tell the history of Jewish life in Florence.
The Synagogue and Jewish Museum bridge the past and the present, fostering understanding and dialogue among different cultures and religions.
Skip the lines and gain access to these historical sites with the Synagogue and Jewish Museum Entry Ticket.
It closes at 6.30 but its impressive architecture is worth a look even if the museum is closed as it takes on a romantic feel after dark.
Synagogue and Jewish Museum is at Piazza dei Giudici, 1, 50122 Firenze FI, Italy.
10- Join A Nighttime Food Tour In Florence
An evening food tour in Florence offers an opportunity to explore the city’s culinary heritage, indulge in delicious dishes and immerse yourself in the local culture.
On this evening food tour in Florence, you’ll navigate the city’s charming streets and alleys while treating your taste buds to delectable treats.
The tour starts in the city’s heart with a visit to a local wine shop, where you can immerse yourself in the world of Tuscan wines as you sample a selection of carefully chosen vintages.
From there, you go on a delightful journey through the city, visiting places serving great food for generations.
Sample truffle sandwiches, artisan bread, traditional cheeses, salami and plenty of wine.
Your guide will take you to artisanal gelaterias, where you can indulge in an array of mouthwatering flavours made with fresh, natural ingredients.
Recommended tour: Florence: Evening Food Tour
11- Watch A Movie At An Outdoor Cinema
Outdoor cinemas allow locals and tourists to indulge in the magic of cinema while taking in beautiful surroundings.
A popular venue in Florence is Odeon Firenze in Piazza Strozzi.
Built in the late 1920s, it’s now a cultural hub showcasing diverse films, from classics to contemporary.
The picturesque setting and gentle evening breeze enhance the unforgettable movie experience.
Cinema La Compagnia in Florence’s historic centre has outdoor screenings during the summer months.
This contemporary cinema focuses on independent and art-house films, allowing visitors to enjoy thought-provoking and avant-garde movies surrounded by the city’s architectural wonders.
There are several other outdoor cinemas in different locations throughout Florence, with a selection of screenings that cater to a wide audience.
Visiting an outdoor cinema in Florence is an experience that engages all the senses, offering a feast for the eyes, the sound of cinematic melodies, the aroma of popcorn and the warmth of human connection.
12- Relax At A Rooftop Bar In Florence
Florence offers a variety of rooftop bars with stunning views, and there’s nothing better to remind you you’re in Florence that sipping a glass of Tuscan wine while your eyes drink in the view of the city from the sky.
La Terrazza Lounge Bar is popular, offering a panoramic view of the Arno River, the Duomo, Palazzo Vecchio and the rolling hills around Florence.
On the menu are classic cocktails, wine and mocktails.
SE·STO on Arno, on the rooftop of The Westin Excelsior Florence, is another great spot for a modern and chic atmosphere.
With its contemporary design and glass dome, it has fantastic views of Florence’s skyline, including the Basilica of Santa Croce and Palazzo Pitti.
These rooftop bars often host live music events, from local jazz bands to talented singer-songwriters.
13- Take A Moonlit Stroll Across Ponte Vecchio
A moonlit stroll across the iconic Ponte Vecchio is a lovely thing to do in Florence at night.
This historic arch bridge dates back to the 14th century and offers a blend of history, beauty and romance.
As you walk across the bridge, the moonlight casts a glow on the water below, and from the centre of the bridge, the view of the Florence Cathedral and Palazzo Vecchio is mesmerising.
Ponte Vecchio’s jewellery shops have been around for centuries, selling gold, silver and gemstones.
The bridge is also home to cosy trattorias that dish up Italian meals, from pasta to seafood, in a romantic setting overlooking the Arno River.
Recommended tour: Florence: Evening Walking Tour with Tasty Aperitivo & Drink
14- Visit Palazzo Vecchio At Night
Palazzo Vecchio is a Renaissance palace in the heart of Florence, renowned for its rich history, stunning architecture and artistic treasures.
This magnificent palace has a vast chamber to hold Florence’s ruling council meetings.
Salone dei Cinquecento, or the Hall of the Five Hundred, is adorned with stunning frescoes and has an impressive coffered ceiling.
Climb to the top of the Palazzo Vecchio’s tower, where from the panoramic terrace, you’ll be rewarded with breathtaking views of Florence’s historic centre, including the iconic Duomo and the picturesque Tuscan landscape beyond.
Throughout the palace, you’ll discover numerous other rooms and galleries housing a vast collection of historical artifacts and art, including those created by renowned artists such as Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci.
Palazzo Vecchio is at P.za della Signoria, 50122 Firenze FI, Italy.
Recommended tour: Florence: Hop-on Hop-off Bus Tour: 24, 48 or 72-Hour Ticket
15- Admire The Night Skyline from Piazzale Michelangelo
Piazzale Michelangelo is an iconic square in Florence with breathtaking views, especially at sunset.
As night falls, Piazzale Michelangelo is a popular spot to see the city’s transformation under the cover of darkness.
You can get to the square by taking a stroll or a bus ride up the hill.
The illuminated Florence Cathedral, with its impressive dome, and Giotto’s Campanile, the bell tower, create a majestic scene.
The Arno River reflects the glow of streetlights that line the Ponte Vecchio, while beyond the river, the silhouettes of Florence’s historic buildings and palaces, including the Palazzo Vecchio and the Uffizi Gallery, add to the captivating nighttime skyline.
Piazzale Michelangelo is at Piazzale Michelangelo, 50125 Firenze FI, Italy.
Recommended tour: Florence at Sunset: Discover Hidden Highlights and Wine
16- Explore The Oltrarno Neighborhood
On the Arno River’s southern bank, the Oltrarno neighbourhood in Florence offers a delightful mix of charm, culture, and inviting nightlife.
The neighbourhood’s main square, Piazza Santo Spirito, is enchanting at night, and the historic buildings, such as the Basilica di Santo Spirito, exude a romantic ambience.
The area has antique shops to explore on Via Maggio Street, housing treasures from centuries past, trattorias, and osterias to enjoy traditional Tuscan cuisine and local wine.
You can also make it a night and go bar hopping to listen to live music or join the locals for spontaneous dancing.
17- Dance The Night Away
Florence is not just famous for its art and cuisine; it also has thrilling nightlife with trendy nightclubs where you can dance until dawn.
One popular hotspot is Tenax, which is in a converted industrial space.
This iconic nightclub has been a staple of Florence’s nightlife for years.
It features internationally renowned DJs and offers different areas with various electronic music genres.
Yab Disco Club near Piazza della Republica is a popular place to groove to hip-hop and house.
18- Attend A Live Performance At Teatro della Pergola
Teatro della Pergola is one of the oldest theatres in the country.
With a rich history dating back to 1656, the theatre has been a hub for performing arts and cultural events for centuries.
Attending a live performance at Teatro della Pergola offers visitors a unique and captivating experience, combining history, art, and the magic of theatre.
Its stunning architectural design features an elegant neoclassical facade and a beautiful auditorium with ornate decorations and plush seating.
This theatre showcases ballet, opera and theatre productions performed by Italian and international artists.
Visiting the Teatro della Pergola is part of the experience of immersing yourself in Florence’s history and culture.
Teatro della Pergola is at Via della Pergola, 12/32, 50121 Firenze FI, Italy.
19- Explore Florence’s Markets
Exploring Florence’s street markets at night offers another glimpse into the city’s vibrant culture.
There are several of these markets around the city, all of which have a lively atmosphere and are popular gathering places for both tourists and locals.
Mercato Centrale (open until midnight) in the San Lorenzo neighbourhood is a food lover’s paradise, with stalls dishing up street food and regional treats.
For a more eclectic and bohemian vibe, visit the Santo Spirito Market in the Oltrarno district on a summer evening.
During the warmer months, local artisans and vendors gather to sell their wares, including handmade jewellery, vintage clothing and unique handicrafts.
Recommended tour: Florence: Street Food Tour with Local Expert Guide
20- Explore Uffizi Gallery
Uffizi Gallery is a famous art museum with a remarkable collection of Renaissance masterpieces.
A nighttime visit to this gallery offers an intimate atmosphere with dimmed lighting, adding a touch of mystery to the artworks of Botticelli, Michelangelo, and Leonardo da Vinci.
The Uffizi Gallery at night also offers a unique perspective of Florence itself.
The gallery overlooks the Arno River so that you can enjoy stunning views of Florence’s night skyline from its windows and terraces.
The serene ambience and absence of crowds create a tranquil atmosphere that allows art lovers to connect with the masterpieces on a deeper level.
Uffizi Gallery is at Piazzale degli Uffizi, 6, 50122 Firenze FI, Italy. The gallery is open until 6.30 pm. Skip the line and book your tickets here.
For more exciting cities at night, read:
- 20 Things To Do In Boston At Night
- 21 Things To Do In Los Angeles At Night
- 20 Things To Do In San Francisco At Night
- 20 Things To Do In London At Night
- 15 Things To Do In Rome At Night
- 16 Things To Do In Melbourne At Night
- 20 Things To Do In New York At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Miami At Night
- 22 Things To Do In Pittsburgh At Night
- 20 Things To Do In New Orleans At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Atlanta At Night
- 26 Things To Do In Toronto At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Vancouver At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Mexico City At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Detroit At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Nashville At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Portland At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Barcelona At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Lisbon At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Athens At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Manhattan At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Cairo At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Krakow At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Seoul At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Shanghai At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Kuala Lumpur At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Beijing At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Kyoto At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Munich At Night
- 17 Things To Do In Ibiza At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Mumbai At Night
- 19 Things To Do In Montreal At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Dubai At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Delhi At Night
- 20 Things To Do In San Antonio At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Chiangmai At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Sydney At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Paris At Night
- 25 Things To Do In Tokyo At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Houston At Night
- 24 Things To Do In Dallas At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Chicago At Night
- Macau Nightlife
- 23 Things To Do In Hong Kong At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Las Vegas At Night
- 20 Things To Do In San Diego At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Seattle At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Philadelphia At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Orlando At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Berlin At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Prague At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Denver At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Istanbul At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Venice At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Budapest At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Madrid At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Rio At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Bangkok At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Reykjavik At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Dublin At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Brussels At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Milan At Night
- 20 Things To Do In St Augustine At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Osaka At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Niagara Falls At Night
- 20 Things To Do At Night In Florence
- 20 Things To Do In St Louis At Night
- 20 Things To Do in Cleveland At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Doha At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Copenhagen At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Ottawa At Night
- 20 Things To Do In Bali At Night